Our site is reader-supported. When you buy a product via our links, we may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Read full disclosure here.
Table of Contents
- What Is Mandelic Acid?
- 1. The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA – Best Overall.
- 2. Revox Just Mandelic Acid 10% + HA – Best Texture.
- 3. Naturium Mandelic Topical Acid 12% – Best With Niacinamide.
- 4. Allies of Skin Mandelic Pigmentation Corrector Night Serum – Best For Hyperpigmentation.
- 5. Wishtrend Mandelic Acid 5% Skin Prep – Best Mandelic Acid Toner.
- In Conclusion.
Mandelic acid is regarded as the skincare acid for sensitive skinned-individuals. As its molecular size is large enough to deprive it from penetrating deep into the skin, which in turn makes it work better on the skin superficial layer or surface, where it stays to mildly exfoliate the skin, by getting rid of dead skin cells lingering on skin surface, thus fading hyperpigmentation and brightening the skin complexion and also addressing skin textural irregularities like enlarged pores and rough skin texture.
Due to its exfoliating potentials, mandelic acid also helps treat acne, as it unclogs the pores of pore-clogging impurities, (which is the main reason why acne develops).
Seeking for the best mandelic acid products to incorporate into your skincare routine? I got you covered. In this article, I have assembled the best mandelic acid products to help address rough skin texture, clogged pores, hyperpigmentation and dull skin.
But before I hit the trigger, let’s know what mandelic acid really is.
What Is Mandelic Acid?
Mandelic acid is an AHA, a derivative of bitter almonds. It has a larger molecular weight. The molecular weight of mandelic acid is 152.1 daltons, which is larger than other alpha hydroxy acids (glycolic acid is 76.0 daltons, for example).
Mandelic acid is considered an AHA for sensitive skin (just like lactic acid), as it’s more gentle on the skin as compared to other AHAs. This is so because of its large molecular structure which makes it not to penetrate the skin as deeply as glycolic acid does.
Mandelic acid offers skin-superficial mild exfoliation and also fades some forms of hyperpigmentation, treats inflammatory acne and minimizes skin aging-signs, thereby improving skin texture and complexion.
Take a tour amongst the best mandelic acid products on the market.
1. The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA – Best Overall.
This mandelic acid formula couples 10% mandelic acid with hyaluronic acid for surface hydration, and tasmannia lanceolata fruit/leaf extract, to calm and soothe irritation associated with acid-use.
Irrespective of how mild mandelic acid can be to the skin, The Ordinary brand took no chances, as they made their formula extra gentle by incorporating tasmannia lanceolata fruit/leaf extract to soothe irritation. This is to say, if you have super sensitive skin, you don’t have to bother using this pick.
My experience with this product was wonderful, it did a good mild exfoliation on my skin, thereby leaving my skin with a smooth texture and brighter complexion after three (3) weeks of dedicated use. You can read my full review here.
- It’s fragrance-free.
- Doesn’t contain pore-clogging ingredients.
- Contains no skin toxic ingredients.
- Feels slightly greasy on the skin.
2. Revox Just Mandelic Acid 10% + HA – Best Texture.
The Revox Just brand has the exact replica of The Ordinary’s formulation (which is a 10% mandelic acid, accompanied with hyaluronic acid) to hydrate and soothe the skin, however in a much better texture than that of The Ordinary’s version.
I fell in love with the product’s texture upon application and I could quickly tell the difference between it and that of The Ordinary’s version. It absorbs quickly and leaves no trace of a greasy feeling behind.
In terms of its performance, it did a great job too. In fact, I experienced the same effect or results from this product, like I did with The Ordinary’s version.
If you feel The Ordinary mandelic acid serum is a little bit greasy for your liking, the Revox Just mandelic acid serum is your best bet. You can read my full review here.
- Has a smooth and lightweight texture
- It doesn’t contain any pore-clogging ingredients.
- Contains no harmful chemicals or substances.
3. Naturium Mandelic Topical Acid 12% – Best With Niacinamide.
A leave-on gentle exfoliant, formulated with 12% mandelic acid for skin-surface and mild exfoliation for an improved skin texture and complexion. It also contains niacinamide (a water-soluble and non-acidic active) to help potentiate mandelic acid by calming redness, blotchiness, shrinking enlarged-pores and reducing excess oiliness.
- Product is at an affordable price.
- Has a lightweight texture (absorbs quickly).
- Non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores).
- Contains no harmful ingredients.
4. Allies of Skin Mandelic Pigmentation Corrector Night Serum – Best For Hyperpigmentation.
A blend of skin de-pigmenting and anti-aging formula. Hyperpigmentation and wrinkles won’t stand a chance. This formula amalgamates 11% mandelic, lactic and salicylic acid to tackle superficial irregularities, deeply and mildly exfoliate the skin, decongest the pores of grime, treat acne and fade away pigmentation, while bakuchiol (a retinol alternative) reduces multiple signs of aging leading to improved skin texture with a natural-looking glow.
- Has a great texture (absorbs quickly).
- Couples mandelic acid with other exfoliating and hyperpigmentation-targeting ingredients.
- Doesn’t contain any pore-clogging ingredients.
- Doesn’t contain any skin toxic chemicals.
- Expensive. (May not be suitable for everyone’s budget).
5. Wishtrend Mandelic Acid 5% Skin Prep – Best Mandelic Acid Toner.
Take your choice to a mandelic acid toner, that’s if you want to enjoy mandelic acid’s skin benefits in a toner.
This non-irritating 5% mandelic acid facial toner helps with mild exfoliation and de-pigmentation of hyperpigmentation, improving skin texture and complexion for a smoother and even skin tone.
This formula also contains centella asiatica (which calms inflammation and reduces redness) and panthenol (a water-attracting ingredient) that helps increase skin surface hydration.
- Price at a considerate rate.
- Super-lightweight and absorbs quickly.
- Non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores).
- Doesn’t contain skin-toxic ingredients.
Mandelic acid is a good choice to make to enjoy mild exfoliation without incurring inflammatory-irritation which is associated with glycolic acid (and other non-friendly AHAs for sensitive skin), all thanks to Its large molecular size which restricts its deep penetration into the skin, thus allowing it to perform its skin exfoliation potential on the top layer of the skin.
Therefore, if you’ve got sensitive skin, and love to give mandelic acid a try, the aforementioned products are the best mandelic acid products on the market.
UP NEXT: Did You Know That Lactic Acid Is Also A Sensitive-Skin Friendly Acid? These Are The Best Lactic Acid Serums On The Market.
Like what you just read? Then you'll love to like our Facebook page. Don't forget to follow us on Instagram. You can as well be a Beautysparker by joining our Facebook group, for discussions on skincare.