Our site is reader-supported. When you buy a product via our links, we may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Read full disclosure here.
Table of Contents
My skin type (oily skin) has subjected me to using only lightweight skincare products that won’t overweigh my skin, that includes moisturizers too. I wouldn’t want a thick or heavy moisturizer that will burden my skin, this made me pick Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream, following the good reviews I read online by users about it.
Although, I would have gone for its counterpart Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water-Gel which is formulated specifically for oily skin, but because it contains fragrance I opted out. (I dislike using leave-on skin care products with synthetic fragrance on my face, as this can trigger irritation), because I have a sensitive skin as well, which easily gets irritated. So in order to avoid breakouts, I decided to stay off the fragrance version.
So, I moved my ass down to a skincare shopping mall, bought the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream. I’ve been on this moisture-rich moisturizer for two (2) weeks, so I’ve decided to share my candid experience with it.
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream.
A moisture-rich moisturizer infused with a well-known humectant — hyaluronic acid, which is known to pull moisture from the outmosphere into the skin to keep it Intensively hydrated and moisturized.
Main Ingredients used in formulation of this moisturizer will be briefly explained below.
- Glycerin: Acts as a humectant, which is a substance that allows the skin to retain moisture. It can increase skin hydration, relieve dryness, and refresh the skin’s surface. It also has antimicrobial properties, which means it can protect the skin from harmful microorganisms.
- Sodium Hyaluronate: This is a derivative of hyaluronic acid. It’s a salt form or version of HA which has a low molecular weight. It’s small enough to penetrate the epidermis, or top layer of the skin. In turn, it can improve hydration from the underlying skin layers to retain water and help keep skin hydrated, soft and plump.
- Synthetic Beeswax: Synthetic beeswax is made by blending a mixture of fatty acid esters, fatty acids, and alcohols together to achieve a consistency similar to natural beeswax. Beeswax can create a protective layer on the skin. It’s also a humectant, which means that it attracts water. Both of these qualities can help the skin stay hydrated. You should also have in mind that beeswax does not clog pores, as it’s non-comedogenic.
- Dimethicone: Also known as “silicone“, being an occlusive dimethicone will help form a breathable barrier at the top layer of the skin to avoid moisture-loss therefore influencing skin adequate hydration, fill in lines and pores and protect the skin from chemical exposure and other environmental damages. If you’re scared of silicones thinking it clogs pores, know that it doesn’t. Silicones have a particular molecular structure with big gaps between each molecules. Skin can still sweat, and active ingredients can also reach the skin through these gaps. Silicones has no pore-clogging attributes — so, you absolutely have nothing to be concerned about.
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream comes in a portable ocean-like blue coloured screwable jar.
Although the packaging style of the container can promote depositing dirt into the cream upon usage, therefore ensure your hands are clean before scooping out the cream for usage.
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream has a gel-like thick texture (but not too thick). Which feels lightweight on the skin and absorbs quickly upon contact with the skin, leaving no residue behind. A little goes a long way.
It comes in a 50 ml jar size.
Water, dimethicone, glycerin, cetearyl olivate, polyacrylamide, sorbitan olivate, phenoxyethanol, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, synthetic beeswax, C13-14 isoparaffin, dimethiconol, dimethicone crosspolymer, chlorphenesin, laureth-7, carbomer, sodium hyaluronate, ethylhexylglycerin, C12-14 pareth-12, sodium hydroxide.
My Honest Review On Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream.
He who finds a skincare product that suits his or her skin falls in love with it. I’ve fallen in love with this moisturizer already. Not only does it give me that satisfactory hydration, but also feels light-weight on my skin.
Although, as inscribed on the product pack, it says “for dry skin“. But the texture feels lightweight on my skin, although it has a thick-texture, but my skin loves it, so from my humble opinion, I think people with oily skin will definitely find solace in this moisturizer. So as people with dry skin too, as the product was specifically made for them.
I’m a huge fan of weightless-hydration due to my skin type (oily skin). I don’t like my skin being weighed-down by a skincare product or have a heavy-feeling, that’s why I don’t go for heavyweight moisturizers (or skincare products).
I love my skin care products to penetrate into my skin, which makes them absorb quickly without leaving a greasy residue behind – I bet no one likes their skincare topicals sitting on top of their skin.
With Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream, I wake up every morning with a plump, smooth and dewy skin. When I stare at the mirror, I smile to what I’m seeing.
If you’re seeking for a deep-skin moisturizer, and you’re a fan of gel-cream moisturizers, then this moisturizer is the real deal. It offers intense hydration, plumps the skin, and leave it with a dewy finish.
What I Like About Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream.
- Easy to use.
- Well packaged.
- Absorbs quickly (doesn’t leave a greasy residue).
- Adequately hydrates and moisturizes the skin.
What I Dislike About Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream.
- Product comes in a jar, which needs to be scooped prior to application which can encourage the deposition of bacteria into the product. Ensure your hands are clean before scooping or use a spatula for scooping the product prior to application.
I recommend the brand to devise a means for the application of this moisturizer without necessarily scooping it. Packaging can be changed into a tube container, or even a container with a pump, as this won’t only prevent bacteria deposition, but also encourages more efficient product-usage.
Disclaimer: This is a personal experience with Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream, you may have a whole different experience as skin type differs so as result differs too.