Our site is reader-supported. When you buy a product via our links, we may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Read full disclosure here.
Table of Contents
In my hunt to find the ideal color-correcting palette, my friend suggested using the Maybelline color corrector. While digging, I saw several pens that could seriously eat half of my budget. And then, this little compact palette caught my attention. I also read a lot of blogs about makeup and skincare but couldn’t find a perfect review that could answer my questions. I wanted to take the risk, so I bought this fellow home.!
It had everything I needed for flawless makeup. This little palette has a color-correcting set of two highly pigmented colors, green and yellow, orange and wheatish, and two shades of highlighters.
As I’ve been using this palette for quite some time, I ought to share my experience for you to make a wise decision. Let’s get down to the nitty-gritty!
About The Brand.
Learning about the brand before buying any product is a wise choice. Maybelline New York, a brand that goes without saying, is an affordable beauty brand with a plethora of worth-buying cosmetics. Maybelline, a L’Oreal Group-owned brand based in New York, serves you with its fragrances, personal care, and makeup products.
In a recent study, it came to light that Maybelline is not a cruelty-free brand. However, the famous drugstore brand refused to accept the speculations. As their official website mentions, Maybelline claims to be a cruelty-free brand. Its Green Edition formulas are vegan. They denied the accusations by stating that not getting a cruelty-free certificate doesn’t imply that the products undergo testing on animals.
Maybelline Color Corrector.
Maybelline color corrector palette consists of six vibrant shades that can be used as a corrector, concealer, and highlighter. The corrector set contains two colors: green and pale-yellow. The concealing set has two colors, one lighter than the other, and the last set of highlighters contains two bright natural white highlighters, one with a slight shimmer.
The prominent ingredients used in the formulation of this product will be briefly explained below:
Like most people, we tend to ignore the formula & ingredients of a product before buying, but it is essential for us to check the constituent of a product. Therefore, I have shared some significant ingredients that are there in the Maybelline color corrector.
- Tocopherol: Commonly known as Vitamin E, It is an omnipresent nutrient in our body. It is a fat-soluble precisely used as a skin conditioning agent and contains antioxidant properties. It acts as a free radical and protects the skin from harmful UV rays. Vitamin E prevents comedones from forming and, thus, can be considered safe for acne-prone skin. However, Vitamin E is not just the only ingredient in this palette.
- Citric Acid: Citric acid, an alpha hydroxy acid, is used in cosmetics to adjust acidity. It acts as a chemical exfoliant. Moreover, it is helpful to adjust the pH level of the product. While citric acid is derived chiefly from fruits, such as oranges, lemons, and grapefruits, that are acidic, it’s alkaline in nature. It helps extend the product’s shelf life as it is a preservative.
- Kaolin: Kaolin, or China Clay, draws excess oil and reduces sebum production. It is helpful to exfoliate the skin and acts as a mild preservative. However, it can dry up the skin slightly if used in high concentration. Kaolin Clay prevents extra shine in foundations and concealers by absorbing the excess oil. By this, the shelf life of the makeup gets enhanced, and it also gives a matte finish by perfectly hiding fine lines and wrinkles.
- Mica: The highlighter in the palette contains Mica. Mica, a mineral ingredient, is used in almost every makeup product to add sparkle and enhance the quality. It is a non-toxic element and is used popularly as a colorant. A study shows that the use of Mica is deemed safe in cosmetics.
The Maybelline color corrector comes in three styles of palettes. They have Light 100, Medium 200, and Deep 300. I bought the Light 100 because of the green and reddish shade for color correction. The other two palettes don’t have the green color, but they have red, orange, and brown for medium to deep skin tones.
When I bought the palette, it came without any top cover. It also has a small mirror, and the latest packaging even contains a small brush for easy application. I ordered it from an online store.
If I talk about the texture of each shade, I wonder if the latest packaging has the same texture or has improved, but in my palette, the color in the left corner below the green is a bit thicker than the rest. I use it whenever I need more coverage in less quantity, especially under the eyes.
The shade in the middle feels smooth and blends easily. The green corrector works best for me as I have acne on my cheeks, and due to the inflammation, it becomes red, and makeup only worsens it. If you ask me about the pigment, the shades are pretty pigmented, and I especially love the hue of the highlighter. It’s a light pinkish-white color that looks perfect when you don’t want a blinding look but also a little glow.
The Maybelline Facestudio Master Camo Color kit is available in Light 100, Medium 200, and Deep 300. The case says 6g/0.21oz is the standard quantity for every palette.
TOCOPHEROL CITRIC ACID [+/- MAY CONTAIN / PEUT CONTENIR CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE MICA CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES CI 19140 / YELLOW 5 LAKE CI 42090 / BLUE 1 LAKE ] F.I.L. D188835/1 G3497 INGREDIENTS: ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE OZOKERITE ETHYLHEXYL HYDROXY STEARATE KAOLIN POLYBUTENE SILICA SILYLATE SILICA TIN OXIDE [+/- MAY CONTAIN / PEUT CONTENIR CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE MICA CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES CI 77163 / BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE CI 75470 / CARMINE ] F.I.L. D188839/1. Learn how to read skincare ingredient lists .
My Honest Review On Maybelline Color Corrector.
It’s been a while since I bought it, and I have used it on many people. They seem to love it too. The texture is smooth, and it blends so well. If used in the right amount, it can cover almost all imperfections.
However, it can look a bit cakey, especially the shade under the green color. I bought it because of the convenience of getting all the correctors in one place. I find it hectic to hold three different pens and use each on the hand first. I used it a lot till it expired.
When it comes to color correctors, one thing that comes to mind is the variety of shades. Even though the palette has only six colors, it is relatively easy to mix, match, and get the desired shade.
What I didn’t like about the palette were the colors they offered. It’s disappointing that they have the green in only Light 100 and not the other two palettes. But they have red in Deep 300. Honestly, they should include green and red in all their palettes. One of my friends told me they experienced clogged pores after using it, but luckily I didn’t.
Furthermore, this color-corrector palette is a “must-have” if you have dark circles, redness, or hyperpigmentation. But if you suffer from any allergy due to the ingredients present in it, you must refrain from using it.
Experts always recommend doing a patch test, even if it’s only a concealer. I tested it on my neck, and it turned out to be good for me, and I did not experience any irritation.
What I Like About The Maybelline Color Corrector.
- There are almost all the colors that you need to cover your imperfections.
- Shades are bright and pigmented.
- Highlighter’s color is quite subtle and blendable.
- It’s small and best for people who are constantly traveling.
What I Dislike About The Maybelline Color Corrector.
- The consistency of the two shades was quite thick, making it difficult to blend.
- The quantity is comparatively less.
- Mine didn’t come with a brush, but the latest palettes have one.
- It got discontinued by the brand, and the reason is unknown.
As I’ve been using it for years, I would say this Maybelline color corrector is a great gift to all makeup lovers with less storage.
This palette can be your friend if you like concise and organized vanity. The colors are bright and blend swiftly. Also, the price is quite nominal compared to other color-correcting palettes available. The only drawback I found it had was the overall quantity and thickness of one of the shades.
Possible Questions & Answers.
Q: Is Maybelline Color Corrector Ideal for Dark Circles?
A: As much as I have used it, it conceals dark circles incredibly well. You might not require an extra concealer.
The formula blends well if used in a precise amount.
How to use Maybelline Color Corrector?
The palette has instructions written at the back, but you can use it however you want. But ideally, you can start by correcting and follow up with concealing, and after your foundation gets set, you can use the highlighter for a subtle glowy finish. Bronze, lip shade, and there you go.!
Disclaimer: This is a personal experience with the Maybelline Facestudio Master Camo Color kit, you may have a whole different experience as skin type differs, so as result differs too.